Sunday, November 18, 2007

Woobee Mom at the Boom Boom Room

Hey People.
I get more emails with questions about the Boom Boom Room! I am glad to have had the experience to share my thoughts with you all. I'll shoot out a disclaimer that this is only my opinion based on my personal experience with Woobee Kids. You can also view my achieved entry Celebrity Swag and the Tattered Mompreneur for some more strong opinions on this subject.

The Boom Boom Room event was one of the most unorganized events I have ever been part of. I felt the people were unhelpful and ungracious...and I have never received the photo's promised in the contract, and I asked numerous times. It was expensive to pay for the table at the event, car, fly down, the hotel and its food was VERY expensive ($20 for room service breakfast - simple eggs, meat, potatoes). Not to mention the 150 pieces of product you need to give away.

Do I think I got my money's worth, not really. Am I happy I went? Yes, it was a very interesting experience to add to the books and I was able to get to know my traveling companions from BabyLegs better. Would I do it again? No, as a small struggling company I truly believe I would be better off using that money towards a PR person. A-list celebs never show up at these type of events. If they have any interest they send their stylists who you would never be able to pick out of a crowd. It also turned me into a crazy person looking at the tabloids all the time for a Woobee blanket siting. I feel like I get more for validity from retailers and definitely more sales from national press in magazines and TV shows - the kind of thing a PR rep can get you.

I have also found easier and much cheaper ways to reach celebrities...especially the types of celebrities that press actually cares about. Numerous companies / pr firms do celebrity gift baskets delivered right to the celebs door. Also, I always consider whether or not the products these companies are asking for will get photographed with a celebrity...my bibs and burps are not going to be in a picture of a celeb walking down the street, so I don't do a lot of those requests.

I remember the feeling of anxiety when asked to attend the Golden Globe Boom Boom Room event. So conflicted about whether or not to take this chance...what if you don't go? Did you miss an amazing opportunity with a big celebrity? What if you do go and you spend a ton of money and give away the farm in product and nothing comes out of it? If you do decided to go for it - you will always have the experience and every experience is worth something. If you decide not to go I found a PR person (and not all are $3500-$4000 per month- there is a wide $ range out there) to be very helpful at helping to take my company to the next level. And for the record, as much as I don't like the way this world always spins I do believe that doing celebrity out reach can be useful in growing a company in this celeb crazy world we breathe in.


As a business owner I always go with my gut feeling, so if any of your guts decide you should go email me and I can give you some tips on how to make the most of your experience.

No comments: