Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Building a company on a 14 hour week

I should be clear, I have 14 hours of child free time to work on Woobee. I utilize ever other spare moment within a 24 hour day as well. The problem is - and you other moms out there will understand this - every time you start a task when your children are round something will come up and they will need you, every time. When children are sleeping is the key time to accomplish a task, that is where it gets a little sticky for me. Here is why...



My husband was hurt in an accident when my now 5 year old was 18 months, and after rehab and a lot of pain he was able to go back to work as a chef. So we moved forward with our life freshly rich with gobs of medical debt and planned our second child. While I was pregnant the screws and plates in his ankle started to work their way out. He needed two more surgeries. The first when I was 8 months along and we planned for the last surgery for 2 weeks postpartum. Then our vivacious Lola was born and at 10 days old hubby came home from work revealing that he was not able to ever go back. He just was not physically able to do it anymore. Long story short - he went into a dislocated workers program and is finishing his degree next month:) So I have gone back to waiting tables to be home with my girls during the day, plus it gives me flexibility that I need with our situation. I work on Woobee during the times the girls are at pre-school - which is 14 ours a week - and I use random moments of house harmony to do more Woobee work.



Don't get me wrong, I am not complaining. I still feel very lucky even though I am certainly not where I thought I would be at 36. Hubby will have an education in a field he'll excel at, he has the most amazing relationships with the girls (as do I), and I get to grow a striving company. I will be happy to go down to one job...Woobee...and get a little more sleep. It won't be long now.

No comments: