Friday, April 11, 2008

Customer Service? Anybody out there?

So from one customer service person to another, do you ever feel that technology has dulled our societies ability to creatively problem solve. Here is why I say this...I ordered a poster today from Staples in California for someone else to pick up for a local event and their on-line service does not offer a payment option for in-store pick up items so I call the store to pay via phone but they couldn't figure out how to make that happen, so I asked for the total so I could send the person picking up the poster a check, and they did not know how to get that information without ringing the poster into the computer, so I asked what the local sales tax is (so I could add it up myself) and they had to find a manager. Hummmm. What happens if the magnet strip on the back of a credit card isn't working...total disaster?

As an owner of a company, and customer of many others, is it too much to ask that young people (I sound 80) know a few basic things like:
1. get a manager when it is appropriate (like when a phone authorization is requested, instead of saying "Um, I don't think we can do that").
2. know how to use math skills without a computer.
3. know what their local sales tax is, especially if you work in retail...hello.
4. know how to take someones phone number down AND call them back when you found an answer to their problem.

Am I asking too much?

No comments: